Tattoo artists have recommended a variety of tattoo healing techniques and ointments over the years. Experience over the years has taught us, that our method of healing uses the best products available with some of the simplest ingredients. We also know, the quicker a tattoo heals, the risk of infection and the likelihood of the tattoo fading is reduced. The products we suggest using are Aquaphor and Organic Cold Pressed Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil. Organic and Unrefined are the keywords you should be looking for. Click on the links below to learn more about these products.
- Keep the bandage on your tattoo for at least 1 hour, but no more than 4 hours. Once removed, do not rebandage the area. Your tattoo neds air to heal properly & covering your tattoo will suffocate the skin, prolonging your healing process.
- Unless cleaning your tattoo, do not touch, or let anyone else touch your tattoo for the duration of it’s healing.
- How to properly cleanse your tattoo is outlined in the next section. Please note: do NOT submerge your tattoo in any body of water for a minimum of 14 days. (i.e. hot tubs, oceans, rivers, lakes, ponds, puddles, pools, baths, etc.)
KEEP IT CLEAN
- Once you have returned to a clean environment, thoroughly wash your hands and remove the bandage placed over your tattoo.
- First, you’re going to get into the shower and continue your with our normal shower routine. You’ll want to wash your tattoo last using only unscented, liquid, anti-bacterial soap in the pump bottle (we suggest Dial or Softsoap) never using bar soaps.
- Use only your hands/pads of your fingers to cleanse your tattoo. Do not pick at, or scratch the area, and you should never use items such as; loofahs, washcloths, sponges, etc. Lather the soap in your hands and apply in a a circular motion using lukewarm water.
- While your skin is still damp, apply a small pea size amount of Aquaphor to the area and massage a thin, even layer over your tattoo. Allow the Aquaphor to air dry, then blot away any excess ointment using a clean, dry paper towel.
- We suggest cleansing your tattoo with an unscented pump bottle liquid soap, followed by applying the Aquaphor, twice a day for 5 to 7 days. Contact our staff if you have any questions/concerns and we will be happy to further assist you. Reach us at (843) 448-4708.
- Do not use Aquaphor for more than 7 days. We suggest using an organic, unrefined, coconut oil, to keep your skin moisturized after the first week.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- After getting a new tattoo, it is normal during the first few days for your skin to push out any excess pigment. To keep ink off your sheets/ bedding you may want to wear breathable, cotton clothing. Tattoo pigment will stain, so please be sure to keep that in mind.
- Everyone heals within a slihtly different time frame, and depending on how extensive your artwork is, scabbing may, or may not occur. If a scab does form, again this is nothing to be concerned about. However, do not pick, scratch, or rub it. Allow your skin to heal properly, at its own pace & allow any flaking or pealing to fall off naturally.
- Touch ups, if needed will be done at the discretion of the artist who originally did your tattoo. Any fees associated with a touch up procedure will also be at the discretion of the artist.